Just admit it…you’re still picking at that leftover Easter ham in the fridge. If you’re tired of Ham Sammie #117, let’s shift gears and get your brunch game on for the weekend. This is my favorite combination of textures and flavors: flaky pastry, melted cheese, savory ham, tangy dijon, and sweet jelly.
You’ll Also Love: Skillet Roasted Chicken with Peaches
Do you guys remember the “World Famous Monte Cristo” sandwich at Bennigans? I can still remember going there in high school on a date, and knew I must be in love because I couldn’t finish that damn sandwich. After all these years, boyfriend bit the dust, but the sandwich lives on. It is “The Full Monte” Cristo. Warning: this one might break your heart. It’s that freaking good.
First, mix together the dijon and honey, spreading it over the unrolled puff pastry sheet.
Lay out 6 of the 10 slices of Swiss cheese (cutting 2 of the slices in half, as shown).
Sprinkle on the chopped ham before placing the next 4 slices of cheese on top!
Roll up the puff pastry lengthwise and seam-side down.
Brush the egg wash on the finished roll before placing it in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
Melt raspberry jam in a saucepan. After baking, allow the roll to cool before spreading the melted raspberry jam on top. Add a sprinkle of powdered sugar for a beautiful presentation!
Voilà! “The Full Monte” Cristo in all its glory!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 2 Tb dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, leftover ham
- 10 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 jar seedless raspberry jam melted down in a sauce pan
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the dijon mustard and honey.
- Unroll the puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread the mixture over it.
- Place 6 of the 10 slices of cheese on the puff pastry (you may need to cut 2 of the slices to fit the entire sheet. See photo for reference!)
- Sprinkle your chopped ham on top of the first layer of cheese. Then, place the remaining 4 pieces of cheese on top of the ham. Roll the completed puff pastry lengthwise and seam-side down.
- Whisk the egg and brush the top of the rolled product with that egg wash. Place in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Melt raspberry jam in a saucepan. After baking, allow the roll to cool before spreading the melted raspberry jam on top. Add a sprinkle of powdered sugar for a beautiful presentation! Slice and serve.