Ready for a better-than-take-out meal? This beef and broccoli dish is made easy in the Instant Pot– the modern day pressure cooker. I remember my Grandmother, Ronnie, deftly wielding 3 whistling pressure cookers on the stove at once with the agility of a culinary maestro! Nowadays, you don’t have to worry about the pot exploding like you did back then, LOL, but there are some tricks to help this meal get to the next level of tender, flavorful and delicious.
In this recipes, I used flank steak, which I sliced thinly across the grain, to maximize the tender factor! Coating the sliced steak in cornstarch will create a thickened sauce (some recipes call it a ‘slurry’) so you don’t have to mess with any flour or add gluten to the sauce.
You’ll Also Love My Beef Barbacoa
I like adding some additional spice with some jalapeños or red chiles, and serving over riced cauliflower instead of white rice.
Click the video to see how to make the recipe!
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||30 min|
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak sliced thin and against the grain
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1/2 cup cornstarch to coat the steak
- 1/4 cup soy sauce use Tamari for gluten free version
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 Tb Dry Sherry
- 2 Tb diced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tb brown sugar
- 1 Tb ginger
- 2 cups broccoli
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 red Chile pepper diced for garnish
- kosher salt to taste
- chopped scallions
- Slice flank steak thinly, against the grain and coat in corn starch. Put Instant Pot on saute mode and add olive oil. Sauce in batches until browned, about 3 minutes per batch.
- While beef is cooking, steam broccoli until just tender. Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Add ingredients through ginger and put the Instant Pot on manual pressure for 8 minutes. Do the natural release for 10 minutes and stir to combine thickened sauce.
- Combine broccoli with beef and sauce and garnish with toasted sesame seeds, scallions, red Chile pepper and kosher salt to taste. Serve over rice.