This is, hands down, one of the best recipes I’ve come up with in a LONG time. For me, the ultimate combination of flavors and textures is a little crunchy, a little spicy, and a little sweet. This, lovelies, has all of the above. If you are a low-carber/keto-er, or just trying to cut down on the fried crap, this is a great solution to keep the flavor and the crunch while losing all of the carbs.
Simply pan fried in some grass fed butter (Kerry Gold Salted butter is my fave!). I also put it in my coffee every morning (butter, not chicken, LOL) for the ultimate Bulletproof recipe!
I digress….I’m the girl who has used pork rinds as chicken coating and has mastered the art of chicken thighs in the skillet. But, I think this recipe is my all time favorite. Even JP, and boyfriend literally just went through a Church’s Chicken drive-thru yesterday, admits that this crust can compete with the best fried chicken out there.
One of the secrets to the crust is adding in half a cup of grated Manchego or Parmesan…I personally prefer the nuttier Manchego. I’ve made this recipe three different times this week, not because I needed to test it again, but because I wanted to eat it again—I know you will, too.
- 2 eggs beaten together for egg wash
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 Tb salted, grass-fed butter
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 Tb onion powder
- 2 Tb garlic powder
- 1 Tb thyme
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup grated Manchego or Parmesan
- 1/2 cup agave or honey
- 1 Tb chipotle Tabasco
Almond Flour Dredge:
- Preheat oven to 375. Combine almond flour dredge ingredients.
- Dip chicken in egg wash. Dredge in almond flour mixture.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large oven friendly skillet on medium heat until butter is bubbling. Lay chicken in skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes on both sides until almond flour dredge is golden brown.
- Put skillet in oven for 15 minutes until just cooked thorough. Mix chipotle honey together and serve with it drizzled on top of chicken.