Ever since I started eating Keto and Low Carb, lettuce wraps are my go-to sandwich shell. While I’m normally crushing a burger in a lettuce wrap, these Thai inspired chicken wraps are so flavorful and light! And they won’t leave you with that “burger in the belly” feeling that is liable to put you in a food coma before your afternoon meeting.
The star of the show here is the peanut sauce, flavored with ginger, garlic and finished with some coconut milk. Do NOT go out and buy the coconut milk in the cartons that you put on your cereal in the morning– you need the full fat coconut milk in the cans that you get in the Asian aisle/International aisle of the grocery store. Also to note, while the more commercial brands of peanut butter have higher sugar content, the organic/natural/oil on top type peanut butters don’t create the consistency that is best for this sauce. A good old jar of Peter Pan or Jif creamy peanut butter is definitely the best option. I haven’t experimented with subbing out Swerve or Truvia or Splenda for the brown sugar, but if you are concerned about carbs/sugar, just go easy on the sauce. A little truly goes a long way.
This makes for a great meal when you have friends over for dinner, because you can prep the veggies and toppings ahead of time– I love the combo of the red bell pepper, cucumbers, carrots, mint and basil…it’s such a pop of fresh flavor! Stay tuned for video of this recipe, which I’m creating for the Georgia Peanut Commission! Check out my Youtube page for some other peanut inspired recipes, like these Keto and Low Carb friendly Chicken Pad Thai and Salmon dishes and Peanut Butter Cranberry Energy Bites — enjoy!
FOR LETTUCE WRAPS
- 2 heads of boston or butter lettuce
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 green onion, sliced
- 3 carrots, shredded/grated
- ½ cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 lb cooked chicken
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- Sliced lime for garnish
FOR PEANUT SAUCE
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 Tb Tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tb rice vinegar
- 2 Tb brown sugar
- 3 tsp chili garlic sauce
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2-3 garlic cloves pressed or grated
- 2 Tb fresh ginger
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 4 Tb warm water (plus more if needed for desired consistency)
- Combine peanut sauce ingredients in small saucepan over low heat until combined. Add more water if you want to thin out the sauce more.
- Fill lettuce leaves with chicken, sauce and top with pepper, onion, carrots, cucumber, basil and mint. Sprinkle crushed peanuts on top and serve immediately.