New Year's Eve Stuffed Mushrooms
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 25 button mushrooms
- 1 (16 oz.) package spicy sausage
- 1 (8 o.z) package full fat cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- ¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Pop off mushroom stems and scoop out mushroom gills.
- Chop stems and gills and set aside.
- Place scooped out mushrooms on a sheet pan, upright. Bake for 10 minutes. This will sweat the mushroom and fill the scooped out part with water. (Soggy mushrooms are not awesome.) Drain mushrooms and set aside.
- Sauté sausage in a frying pan until browned and then drain. Put sausage aside.
- Sauté onions and chopped stems and gills in butter on medium heat until liquid is cooked down, about 15 minutes.
- Add in cream cheese, parsley, tarragon and cooked sausage. Warm in pan until cream cheese is combined and melted.
- Stuff this filling into mushroom caps. Top with Parmesan.
- Place on a greased sheet pan and bake at 375°F for 20 minutes.
These stuffed mushrooms are hands down, one of my all time favorite appetizers. They’re easy to prep ahead and are always a crowd pleaser. In fact, several of my friends have made it a tradition to serve these at parties since they’re such a hit. The real secret is that you sweat the mushrooms first, so they’re not soggy. You can also omit the sausage if you want to do a veggie version, but I personally love the creamy, savory bite with the crumbled sausage. The fresh tarragon also adds a little sumpin’ sumpin’ that takes it over the top in terms of flavor. I made this for the first time for a New Year’s Eve party a few years ago, and they’ve been my go-to ever since! Even better, there isn’t a bread crumb involved– they’re 100% gluten free and low carb! Winning! They put the “Happy” in Happy New Year! May your 2018 be utterly delicious…