When I was planning the menu for JP’s birthday bonanza feast, I decided to make spicy seared ahi tuna and wanted to serve a cool, refreshing salad to offset the heat.
Meet the most delish cucumber salad. Ever.
And as the 1% of women who really don’t care for salad (hello, save me a double helping of the meat and cheese, please!) I really dig it. And consequently, I ate most of it. Sorry birthday boy.
The shaved cucumber makes for a beautiful presentation and the dressing can double as a dang dip it’s so yum. Sprinkle some black sesame seeds on top and you’ve got a super easy, fancy looking gourmet salad.
Shaved Cucumber and Edamame Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 1 English cucumber
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 peeled whole avocado
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 Tb rice vinegar
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tb thinly sliced red bell peppers
- 1 cup peeled edamame
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
For the salad
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the cucumber down to the core (where you start to see the seeds and save half of the cucumber core)
- Cut the long peeled strips in half and put in a bowl
- Add edamame and scallions to cucumber
- Put salad in fridge while you make the dressing
For the dressing
- In a food processor, combine avocado, mayo, garlic cloves, salt, vinegar, cilantro, lime juice and 1/2 cucumber core and heavy cream. Pulse until smooth.
- Right before serving, add the bell pepper and fold in the dressing.
- Top with black sesame seeds.
- Best served chilled.